Escribano on the love God has for us

Not wishing to leave you with the fulminations on scandal, I offer another quotation from Escribano; this time on the love that God has for us:
What is the choicest favour we ask of a friend? "Keep me in your thoughts." And throughout the everlasting years, Thou, O Lord, dost keep me in Thy thoughts; not for a moment do I slip from Thy remembrance. But Thou does not think of me as the savant thinks of the object of his learning and investigations; Thou thinkest of me, dear Lord, from the dawning of Thy eternal Day as the lover thinks of and keeps in perpetual remembrance the beloved of his heart: "With unchanging love I love thee, and in mercy I have drawn thee to Myself" (Jer 31.3)

God loves me, loves me from all eternity! And so often have I complained with bitterness of soul that nobody cares a damn for me! And all the time God was loving me with an unchanging, everlasting love!

O divine Lover, eternal Lover, what wonder that Thou ask for my cold and fleeting love?

The thing that defies all explanation is the niggardliness with which I have been refusing it to Thee throughout my whole existence, to squander it instead, among a host of puny creatures, fetishes of the hour that show me neither gratitude nor reward except to lacerate my heart and hand when I try to clutch them.
Yes, there is a sting in the tail; but is it not an essential outcome of prayer that our lives should change? Simply to pray and meditate so that we have beautiful thoughts without actually changing our lives is the heresy, long since condemned by the Church, of quietism.

Popular posts from this blog

1962 Missal pdf online

SPUC Clergy information day

When people walk away with Holy Communion

Saint Gabriel

Plenary indulgences not impossible