Dispositions for Holy Communion

In my sermon in the parish today for Corpus Christi (NO) or second Sunday of Pentecost with the commemoration of the Octave (TLM - my attempt to capture the "spirit" of the recent clarification regarding Holydays) I spoke particularly about the required dispositions for receiving Holy Communion. Here is the text I put in the newsletter and on my parish website:
At this time of the feast of Corpus Christi, we should remember that to receive Holy Communion, the following are required by the Church:
  1. To be a Catholic in communion with the Church and to believe in the real presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist.
  2. To be living in accord with the teaching of the Church and, if married, to be married according to the law of the Church.
  3. To be in a state of grace, free from any deliberate grave sin that has not been forgiven through the sacrament of Confession.
  4. To have fasted for at least one hour before Communion.
  5. To have prepared prayerfully to receive Our Lord in the Holy Eucharist.
Nowadays, some Catholics only come to Mass every few weeks. In such a case, it would be necessary to go to confession and form a firm resolution to attend Mass every week before receiving Holy Communion again.
I also noted that a person who is unable to receive Holy Communion may still receive many graces by participating devoutly at Mass and making a “spiritual communion” at the time that others go up to receive Holy Communion. The following is one prayer that you could use when making a spiritual communion. Here is the text of a prayer that can be used:

Spiritual Communion
My Jesus,
I believe that You are present
in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.

Since I cannot at this moment
receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart.
I embrace You as if You were already there
and unite myself wholly to You.
Never permit me to be separated from You.
Amen.

Popular posts from this blog

1962 Missal pdf online

SPUC Clergy information day

When people walk away with Holy Communion

Saint Gabriel

Plenary indulgences not impossible