Camden Place was the home of Napoleon III, the Empress Eugenie and Louis Napoleon, the Prince Imperial. It is now the clubhouse for Chislehurst Golf Club. Fr Charles Briggs, the parish priest of St Mary's, Chislehurst, has kindly been made an honorary member of the Club. He does not play golf but it is a great pleasure to be able to use the dining-room for Sunday lunch.
The emperor died in 1873 and his funeral took place at St Mary's. The picture to the right is a photo of an engraving that is hung at Camden House, showing the cortege in the Churchyard of St Mary's. (click the picture to enlarge) Below is the plaque on the wall to the left of the front door of Camden House.