The condoning generation

"InfiniteGrace" writes a blog called Postabortion journey, walk with me...

The introductory text for the blog is:
At the tender age of 17, I walked across this bridge, alone, into Downtown Pittsburgh, with $300 in my pocket that my mother had given me to get an abortion. I went into the Fulton Building (in the picture) and did what I was told to do. I didn't have a choice - if I did, I wouldn't have chosen abortion.
Go over and have a look.

Many people know that there is an ecclesiastical censure of excommunication attached to abortion. Actually it is applied to any person who procures an abortion. It is unlikely that a 17 year old girl who was under pressure would have incurred the censure. But the person who pressured her and gave her the money ...

We need to focus some of our preaching on what a priest friend of mine called the "condoning generation". Even if they did not actually encourage the abortion, many took the line "I will support you whatever you choose" which effectively leaves a vulnerable young girl with little choice. It is this generation that is likely to be resentful of pro-life preaching (youngsters don't usually have a problem with it.) We need to persuade people that repentance and forgiveness is a a life-giving path in contrast to denial and the rejection of the truth.

Popular posts from this blog

1962 Missal pdf online

SPUC Clergy information day

When people walk away with Holy Communion

Saint Gabriel

Plenary indulgences not impossible