The nightmare world of North Korea

It is not often that I would refer to the Sun newspaper here but there is a good article today by Oliver Harvey on "The Nightmare World of North Korea". The opening of the article could be used as a model for a journalism class:
IN a cold sweat, I was led away by the jackbooted and armed North Korean border guards to a bleak side room.

My crime was that I’d disobeyed strict orders and taken pictures of the Stalinist dictatorship’s long-suffering people and the ruthless military who keep them suppressed.
If you were being picky, you might say that there is not much real drama - a brief trip for journalists, a 15 minute scary interview and a 100 dollar fine; but I would disagree and take my hat off to the guy. He took a significant risk by trying to get some good photos and he wasn't to know what the consequences were. His article also gives a good description of the paranoia and numbness induced by Kim Jon-il's ghastly regime. The online version has a video clip with some covert footage he managed to get from inside North Korea.

I'm afraid I did laugh at this bit (italics original):
[I] remembered The Sun’s witty headline, “How Do You Solve A Problem Like Korea?” printed when Kim tested a nuclear device in 2006.

At that moment, it didn’t seem all that funny.
I bet it didn't!

H/T Kevin Knight at New Advent.

Popular posts from this blog

1962 Missal pdf online

SPUC Clergy information day

Saint Gabriel

When people walk away with Holy Communion

Request for Novena to Blessed Pius IX