Conflict of duties?

The other day I referred to the Catechism (2240) on the duty of citizens to exercise the right to vote in elections. It was pointed out to me (tongue in cheek) that the next phrase spoke of the moral duty to defend one's country and that this was incompatible with casting ones vote in an election for a foreign power, viz. the European Parliament.

In any case, I cast my vote this evening after Benediction. Earlier in the day, I was lecturing at the St Hugh's Carthusian Monastery at Parkminster. After Vespers, some of the community were preparing to drive to the polling station. Casting one's vote in an election is a reasonable cause for going out of the monastery so no conflict of duties there.

Popular posts from this blog

1962 Missal pdf online

SPUC Clergy information day

When people walk away with Holy Communion

Saint Gabriel

Plenary indulgences not impossible